The Area: Southwestern Wisconsin & the Driftless Area
The Inn is located in rural Southwestern Wisconsin. We are approximately 100 miles west of Madison, 60 miles south of La Crosse, 35 miles from Prarie du Chien, only 15 miles east of the Mississippi River, 20 miles north of the Wisconsin River, only 2 miles east of the Kickapoo River. Our area is dotted with small dairy farms. We are home to a growing Amish population. This area is criss-crossed by dozens of spring-fed streams. Trout fishing (fly or spinner) opportunities are endless and some of the best in the country.
Here in the heart of the Kickapoo River Valley, our Inn is right in the middle of several small, scenic communities. All of the following villages are within a half hour drive of Lonesome Hollow: Viroqua, LaFarge, Viola, Readstown, Gays Mills, Ferryville, Lynxville, Richland Center, Boscobel, Wauzeka, Seneca, and Eastman. These towns and villages all exhibit there own delightful, rural Kickapoo Valley character.
Canoeists and kayakers can explore the Wisconsin and Kickapoo rivers. The Kickapoo River is especially well suited to novice canoeists, and several local outfitters rent canoes for the day and will pick up their customers at a downstream location.
Here are some other area attractions, all within an hour’s drive of Lonesome Hollow Bed and Breakfast and Soldiers Grove, WI:
- Amish furniture and quilt shops, many located at the artisans’ farms
- Biking on the Elroy-Sparta State Trail
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin and museum
- Cross-country skiing
- Trout fishing on local streams
- Canoeing and kayaking on the Kickapoo River
- Antique shops
- Wisconsin’s largest area of apple orchards
- Farm and antique auctions
- Dozens of local festivals and county fairs
- Several local golf courses
- Cabelas Prairie du Chien outdoors store
- Hundreds of miles of scenic, rural county roads